What is it?
Bluetooth 5 is the latest in the wireless connection standard to transfer data over short distance using lower energy(battery). v5 was released in December 2016 (v4.2 is form 2014)
- Longer Range – Bluetooth v5 has a range of about 4 times the range of the previous Bluetooth v4.2.
- Faster – Much faster than Bluetooth v4.2 (about 2x) so faster data speed & transfer. Upto 2Mbps.
- Broadcast channel improvements – 8x the broadcasting message capacity of v4.2.
- IOT friendly – has additional features to enable better & more reliable connectivity with IOT devices.
- Location Services – Bluetooth 5 improves capacity to broadcast information without opening a connection. Upto 37 advertising channels.
- Compatability – Supports all the v4.2 features
To benefit, we would need to upgrade to newer devices to connect with our new iPhone X, iPhone 8 or 8 Plus or Samsung S8 that support the standard but until then our v4.2 devices will work just fine.