The Apple Event from September 16, 2020 was slick and well produced. It followed the recent Apple Events without an audience in these Covid19 times and maintained social distancing protocols.
The highlights from the event are as follows:-
Apple Watch Series 6
- New colors – blue and Product Red with new bands including the new silicone Solo loop which also comes in a braided variant.
- New blood oxygen sensor – useful to have in these Covid19 times. Measures blood oxygen levels in about ~15 seconds and also take regular measurements daily. It does record this data in the HealthKit and features the new Blood Oxygen app.
- Series 6 also has the U1 chip found in iPhone 11 – this provides an Ultra Wideband radio for precise location and spatial awareness. This will also enable the CarKey feature at some point when watch can replace physical keys.
- Longer lasting battery with new S6 chip. Starting at USD399
Apple Watch SE
- Lower price point $279 with dual core S5 chip and cellular option.
- Most features of the Apple Watch(fall detection and emergency SOS) with full display.
- Well its either this or the Series 3 that will still sell for $199 starting if you want to spend less.
- Check price on this Series 3 https://amzn.to/32yCj9n
iPad Air 4
- A14 Bionic chipset with rocking performance for gaming, CoreML apps. There were demos of apps including Pixelmator that showed photo zoom and enhance using ML.
- Liquid Retina display looked fantastic along with a 10.9″ screen. Only difference from the Pro line is that there is the lack of ProMotion in the display available in the pricier Pro models.
- No Face ID but TouchId integrated with power button. This is quite a wonderful feature might I add.
- Support for Apple Pencil (2nd generation), Magic Keyboard, LTE and Wifi 6.
- Look and feel was very similar iPad Pro 2018 model with new colors – Blue, Green, Rose Gold. New iPad Air will support the Apple Pencil v2.
Looking forward to the release of iOS 14, WatchOS 7, tvOS 14 and iPadOS 14 on Wednesday September 16, 2020. This is an unexpected surprise. Waiting to download at 1pm EST.
Alas, no new iPhone 12 but there is hope this year – maybe even next month.
PS: Please click on the affiliate links as anything that is made goes to the upkeep of the site and to keep bringing you the best reviews and recommendations.
Gary Saggu has been coding since the 80’s. He has been programming in C, C++,C#, Java, Objective C and Swift for many years. He has an interest in tech startups, blockchain & big-data technologies. He is a certified Yoga instructor & a scuba diver. Visit Gary Saggu’s tech blog here. Check out my new app Yogamap.