Ouya – the game console
I am excited about this new console so I decided to blog about it. It started as a kickstarter funded project that was oversubscribed very quickly. I was not able to catch it in time but I would definitely be interested in getting a new console that is Android based and has a fairly open policy for developers to write software for it.
– Form factor: Small with cool wireless controllers; Dimensions: (2.9in x 2.9in x 3.2in)
– CPU : Tegra 3(Quad-core processor)
– RAM: 1 GB RAM , 8 GB on-board flash
– Full HD (1080p) with HDMI connection
– Network: WiFi 802.11bgn
– Other technologies: Bluetooth LE 4.0
– Did I mention a $99.00 price? Wow! As per Amazon, Ouya is being released to all on June 4, 2013.
Software and SDK features:
– Java based development environment; Eclipse with ADK is what I would use for it.
– Supports Android Development Kit 4.0 (API 14).
– Ouya Development Kit released under Apache License.
– I read somewhere about using Unity to write 3D games for it as well.
– No fee to develop on Ouya.
– Easy submission and fast approvals so I have heard and it sounds good. Pros : makes happy developers Cons: Loss of quality control.
Looking at all the hardware and software features Ouya offers (mentioned above – I am sure there are more) makes me very excited about this platform. What about non gaming apps? I will investigate further and blog about it. Time to download the Ouya Development Kit.
Very excited about this, A bientot!
– Gary Saggu